For Muslims residing in America, providing Islamic education to children is a real challenge. This is due to the lack of Islamic environment in American society.
Hence, the main purpose of the IQS-Houston, or Istiqlal Quranic School-Houston is to assist parents in providing education and Islamic environment for their children who live in Houston and surrounding areas. Although it only operates on Saturday, we expect IQS-Houston can help and support parents in nurturing their children to became a true Muslim.
IQS class consists of three sessions:
- IQRA and Quranic session (50 minutes; pukul 11:00-11:50).
- Memorization session Surah, do’a, and shalat (40 minutes; 11:50-12:30)
- Islamic study session (30 minutes; 12:30-13.00).
IQRA and Quran session
In teaching Quranic recitation, IQS emphasizes individual approach where children learn at pace according to his ability. To assure effectiveness of learning to read the Quran, we strive to ensure that each teacher cannot teach more than 5 children at a time. Additionally, visual aids such as posters are also used to facilitate the child in remembering the correct readings.
There are two classes of reading the Quran: IQRO class and Quran classes.
For children who can not read correctly Quran with Tajweed (read the rules), IQS uses IQRO book as the ‘guidance’ in reading the Quran. If a student doesn’t have the book, the parents can buy or borrow the book from IQS.
Students were divided into 6 classes IQRO according to the results of the placement test. The instructional goals of each class IQRO are as follows:
- IQRO 1: introduction to Arabic letters.
- IQRO 2: IQRO 2 tajweed + mastery makhraj ص
- IQRO 3: IQRO 3 tajweed + mastery makhraj ط , ظ, and d
- IQRO 4: IQRO 4 tajweed + mastery makhraj ع dan خ
- IQRO 5: IQRO 5 tajweed + start reading juz amma
- IQRO 6: IQRO 6 tajweed + reading juz amma
Students who have graduated or have passed IQRO 6 exam, will go to Quran class. This class stresses reading Quran with correct tajweed, as well as learning the theory of tajweed.
The objectives in terms of the theory of recitation of the Quran classes are as follows:
- Quran A, B and C: mad, tafkhim dan tarqiq, qolqolah qubra, al hams dan jahr, alif lam, and waqaf/ibtida’
- Quran D and E: qalqalah, makhrajul huruf, nun sakinah and mim sakinah.
In this session, the students are required to memorize surahs from juz amma, Ayatul Kursi, daily prayer, prayer and dhikr after prayers.
At the first day of the school, students are divided into several classes according to the level of memorization. At the end of the semester, students are tested to determine if they can move to the next recitation class.
To enhance understanding of the memorization, IQS follows some unique approaches:
- Story-telling approach to describe the background of the memorized material
- Discussion and question-answers of the memorized surahs
- Visual aid to enhance memorization
- Direct practice for shalat and wudlu
- Craft for small children
- Games to help memorization
- Learning some important Arabic words in the surah
- Reward for those who have memorized
In addition, to encourage student to memorize at home, IQS also provides students with CD murottal juz amma, sheets hands out for prayer / remembrance / instruction prayer-wudu, as well as Yahiya Emerick’s juz Amma book equipped with a transliteration and translation England is easily readable by children.
In this session, students are taught lessons related to knowledge of Islam, like the stories of the prophets and the prophet sirah, monotheism, pillars of Iman and Islam, morals, why worship, and so on.
Students are divided into four classes according to age groups as follows:
- Level 1: pre-K and Kindergarten.
- Level 2: grade 1-3 (6-9 year old).
- Level 3: grade 4-6 (9-12 year old).
- Level pre-youth: middle-schoolers
- Level youth: high-schoolers
Adopted approaches for this sessions are:
- Games, craft, stories, question-answers for level 1-2.
- Story, games, interactive discussion and presentation for level 3 and above.
It is critical for students to have the text books for this session:
- Level 2: I love Islam 2
- Level 3: Weekend Learning islam 4
- Level pre-youth: Weekend Learning islam 7 and Weekend Learning Islam 8.
Please see the Islamic Study curriculum for further details.